ASNODENAME vs. using the same NODENAME on different servers

pjackson1

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
We have two servers which share a clustered filesystem. The servers themselves are not in a clustered configuration--they just share a common directory. Currently both servers have a unique nodename: server1 and server2. The problem is they're both backing up our /shared directory so we're getting two copies. The solution which I went with (and what I think is probably best practice) was to create a new TARGET NODE on TSM (cluster1) with authority to two agent nodes cluster1-server1 and cluster1-server2 which are defined as asnodenames on each servers dsm.sys file. I then modified the dsm.sys files so that /shared is excluded on server1 and server2 node stanzas and is in a domain statement for cluster1-server1 and cluster1-server2 node stanzas. Through this setup, everything seems to be working fine.

My question is this: wouldn't it be easier just to create a new node called "cluster1" which is definied on both servers for just the /shared directory and still keeping each server's unique nodename as well. What kinds of problems could I encouter with this? Put another way, what's the point of ASNODENAME and agent/target nodes when you could just create an additional node which both servers use just for the cluster.

I have several servers clustered like that, and I don't use asnodename. To me it's much simpler to do the additional nodename to backup the shared disks.

Hmm. Maybe the only benefit is for troubleshooting. By using asnodename you might be able to see which client node was having issues?

Back