Are certain includes/excludes permanent?

ldmwndletsm

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
If you modify an include/exclude statement, or anything that affects whether some file or directory is being ignored on the backups, and then you later remove the statement, or you modify it so that the file(s) is no longer being excluded (according to the statement), then will TSM go back and capture anything that was previously being skipped, regardless of the modtime or ctime (change of status time) of the affected data?

For example, if file a.txt has a modtime of 2020-01-30 22:00:00 EST, and the directory it lives under is being excluded, and then on 2020-02-15, you change the statement, or remove it so that it would now normally get hit, then does TSM see that? Or does it instead see that the file's modtime (or ctime for that matter) is not newer than the last time it ran and thus it continues skipping it?

I'm thinking that it would check its database, see that it doesn't have the file, or maybe it does, but the version is from a different (older) date) and back it up regardless. Or maybe my understanding is way off here.

Are there any pitfalls here? Are includes/excludes and their ilk (including domain statements) ever absolute or irreversible once they've been created, and a backup has been run? If so, do you then have to run another full (or selective) backuo on the affected file system or path or do something to reset it?

If you include a previous excluded directory TSM will backup all the contents.

Thanks, all. So once the 'exlude' statement goes away, or no longer applies, the affected data that was formerly under the evil spell of the wizard will now wake up from its slumber and get backed up just like it was yesterday, and the kingdom is safe again. I hope. Ha.

Back