archiving files on windows client

dkmartin13

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I need to set up an archive schedule for some files on my windows server. I already have a dsm.opt file set up for the daily back ups, but I can't get the scheduler to archive the files properly.

Do I need to create a different dsm.opt file specifically for archiving or can I add it to my current dsm.opt?

Hi
All depends on if your TSM node is Windows or Unix. :)
- For Windows, you can create another dsm.opt file with a different name, then start your scheduler service pointing to this dsm.opt With cmd, the command should be like "dsmc sched -optfile=dsm2.opt"
- For Unix, create a new stanza in dsm.opt, starting with a line like "se opt2"
Then add the same line at the end of your dsm.sys adding all your new options below.
Pierre

If I do that then what happens to the schedule I currently have set up do backup files on a daily basis?

I can't incorporate archives and backups in the same dsm.opt file?

It is a Windows 2003 server.

If I do that then what happens to the schedule I currently have set up do backup files on a daily basis?

I can't incorporate archives and backups in the same dsm.opt file?

It is a Windows 2003 server.

You can setup your new schedule through the graphic client (dsm.exe) going through utilities/setup wizard. Choose to implement a new schedule and answer that you want your new schedule to point to your new dsm2.opt file.
You will then view 2 schedules running as services, the old one and the one you have just set up.
Check then in a prompt that the windows command i gave you is running well the new schedule : It should return the schedule details you have defined in your TSM server for archiving.
Hope this may help...
Pierre

That makes sense, thanks. Can you give me an example of what the new dsm_archive.opt should look like?

That makes sense, thanks. Can you give me an example of what the new dsm_archive.opt should look like?

You first have to put a new nodename line, in order to avoid any "rebinding" of your yet done backups. And register a new node too.
You can then copy your other lines from the other dsm.opt file, replacing or adding some lines just to adjust this opt file only for archiving.
For example, you can exclude all files from backup, just to avoid any backup:
exclude.backup *:\...\*
Remember that your archive schedule must have the "object" parameter written in, and if you want your subdirectories archived, the "subdir" parameter must be added.
At end, remember to check with "retrieve" that all needed files have been archived like you want.
Pierre

Back