any issues with enabling skipntpermissions option ?

JarapanthiM

Newcomer
Reaction score
greetings all
recently I had issue with backing up mounted network drive.
I put my username info under windows services and tsm scheduler (had permissions to drive) and it did not work.
only thing that did work is to enter skipntpermissions = yes in the option file.
then I was able to backup drive just fine.
Is there any problem with putting in skipntpermissions = yes in the option file ? will this cause any issues for user that may need files restored at some future time? If I understand this, it means that if only user A has access to a folder then that security information will be removed and when restored then those permissions are gone and every user will have default ntfs permissions on file. Correct?
is there any issue to watch out for with this option?
many thanks and best regards.
JM

security information will be removed and when restored then those permissions are gone and every user will have default ntfs permissions on file. Correct?
Correct.

If I were you, I'd use a separate scheduler and a separate option file for the network share, so that your local drives still have the permissions backed up.

I put my username info under windows services and tsm scheduler (had permissions to drive) and it did not work.
Did the user have full permission to the network drive? Read/write is not enough, need full if you want to backup the permissions too, and even then it's not guaranteed they will be restored successfully.

The following limitations exist for NAS file server data when it is accessed by using CIFS:

• File and directory security information might be inaccessible when the Windows account that is performing the backup is not a member of the Domain Administrators group of the domain the NAS file server is a trusted member of. It is also possible that these security access failures might prevent the entire file or directory from being backed up.
  • Performance degradation occurs because data is being accessed remotely.
  • The mapped drives appear to Tivoli Storage Manager as NTFS file systems, but they might not have full NTFS functionality. For example, the encryption attribute of a file is set, but when the client backs up the file, the backup fails because the volume-level encryption setting indicates that encryption cannot be used for the volume. ReFS file systems also appear to Tivoli Storage Manager as NTFS file systems.
source: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.2/com.ibm.itsm.client.doc/c_bac_cifsnas.html

Back