ANR8779E Unable to open drive TAPE0, error number=2

gavsta

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

this is my first post to the forum and i'm also pretty new to using the TSM system.

We recently had a new tsm system installed with an 3583 library fitted with 2 tape drives.

Everything has been running fine for about 2 months and now this week for some reason the server will not access the drives.

From the TSM command line I can update the drive status so it shows them as being online but when i query the path or try to update the path to bring the both the tape drives online i get the following error messages:

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> 01/07/2005 10:18:34 ANR2017I Administrator GABARBE issued command: UPDATE PATH

osiuk030 tape0 srct=server destt=drive libr=ltolib

devi=tape0 online=yes (SESSION: 2613)

01/07/2005 10:18:34 ANR8779E Unable to open drive TAPE0, error number=2.

(SESSION: 2613)

01/07/2005 10:18:34 ANR8420E UPDATE PATH: An I/O error occurred while

accessing drive TAPE0. (SESSION: 2613) </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I have checked the library and it shows both drives as being online and available.

I'm really at a loss as to how to solve this and any help is appreciated.

I have read on other threads there is an issue with the firmware version on the drives if they are 4722 and not 38d0. I am reluctant to change the drive firmware as it is the version they shipped from IBM to us with.

Many Thanks,

Gav.

Hi!

You don't say what os you are running I will asume windows.

My first step would be to check if the tape drive

has changed name, this can happen if you reboot the

server (windows). This can also happen with unix ;)

do a q path f=d and check the output aginst the information in

the setup wizard.

from the command line you can issue the command tsmdlst.exe to list

all the devices tsm can see.

Hope this helps /daniel

d'oh! apologies for missing out the platform.

it is running on a windows 2003 server with TSM v5r2v3.4

been through the steps and the device names haven't changed.

Whats even more odd is now when i try to run the wizard it crashes. :confused:

When i use the q drive command it shows both drives as being listed online.

a q path still shows both drives as being offline, i've rebooted both the server and the tape library, it is increasingly looking like the firmware on the drives itself will need to be changed.

the only other change that has been made recently is that the admin password was changed, would this effect the devices in any manor?

here is a copy of the results from the q path f=d

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> Source Name: OSIUK030

Source Type: SERVER

Destination Name: LTOLIB

Destination Type: LIBRARY

Library:

Node Name:

Device: lb1.1.0.5

External Manager:

LUN:

Initiator: 0

Directory:

On-Line: Yes

Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN

Last Update Date/Time: 11/02/2004 13:05:00

Source Name: OSIUK030

Destination Name: TAPE0

Destination Type: DRIVE

Library: LTOLIB

Node Name:

Device: \\.\Tape0

External Manager:

LUN:

Directory:

On-Line: No

Last Update by (administrator): SERVER_CONSOLE

Last Update Date/Time: 01/06/2005 05:18:12

Source Name: OSIUK030

Destination Name: TAPE1

Library: LTOLIB

Node Name:

Device: \\.\Tape1

External Manager:

LUN:

Directory:

On-Line: No

Last Update by (administrator): SERVER_CONSOLE

Last Update Date/Time: 01/06/2005 05:18:32 </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi Gav,

Thought I'd just post the config of one of our servers using a 3583 - running Windows 2000, there are 4 LTO1 drives in there. I just noticed that you have your drives set up with the device name \\.\Tape0 for example, and the library changer set up with the TSM name: lb1.1.0.5

I've never used this config, so I can't comment on it, but I haven't had any problems using the TSM name throughout for the Tape Paths, see below.

The mt. numbers are very easily found using the admin console under 'device information' - (you can check it with the list of devices that you can see using 'ntutil', but the order of the SCSI Port, Bus, TargetID etc. is different).

If the server crashes trying to use the drives it may be worth trying a different device driver - I've found 5080 to be reliable; although everything else here is runnning 6058 fine I did have some problems with it and the 3583 library.

Source Name: TSM.OAKHOUSE

Destination Name: 3583LIB

Destination Type: LIBRARY

Library:

Node Name:

Device: lb6.0.0.2

External Manager:

LUN:

Directory:

Destination Name: DRIVE1

Library: 3583LIB

Node Name:

Device: mt0.0.0.2

External Manager:

LUN:

Directory:

Destination Name: DRIVE2

Node Name:

Device: mt1.0.0.2

External Manager:

LUN:

Directory:

Destination Name: DRIVE3

Node Name:

Device: mt2.0.0.3

External Manager:

LUN:

Directory:

Destination Name: DRIVE4

Node Name:

Device: mt3.0.0.3

External Manager:

LUN:

Directory:

We're running f/ware 4561 on these drives, lib. f/ware is 3.20.0002 and RMU f/ware is 180B.00002

Hope this may help.

Chris..

CJ,

Thanks for the post you suddenly made me realise the error in the syntax in the update command i was issueing. The problem was me getting device and devicename confused as the same thing. When I changed the command to use \\.\Tape0 and \\.\Tape1 instead of just tape0 and tape1 tsm accepted the command and immediately started migrating our disk pools to tape.

Thanks for all the help on this, with any luck i'll get the company to pay for some proper TSM training!

Gav.

If it was working fine then there has to be some configuration isue. Please check if you can able to view both the drive under Windows. It is most important. Also Make sure you Dissable the Removable Storage Manager Service. If OS is not able to detect the drives then TSM is not able to use it. The Device manager should show both the drives under Tape. Use TSM device driver name to define the Tape drive paths and Please ask TSM to detect the serial no. it will get the required information (Element No. is more important)

Once again as per your inputs it was working fine, so either some one has made some changes in Fiber Cables, Fabric Zoning, or element nos.

You can also check if the windows can able to use the library and drives for Windows native backup and recovery. you have to enable the Removable Storage Manager Service for this. Once you finish teting remember to dissable this service. It is not recomended to have it running.

Let's hope it will help you

All the best ....

Manish Mhatre

Back