ANR8444E DEFINE DRIVE : Library 4560slx is currently unavailable

gblais

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Hi finally reinstalled the library and the tapes drivers to try to fix the loading tape problem (http://adsm.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12153).

Both drivers seems to be working well but I got another problem when Im trying to add a drive to my library. I got the following message : ANR8444E DEFINE DRIVE : Library 4560slx is currently unavailable.

Is that could be a driver problem?
Should I just delete my library and create a new one?
What are the implication of deleting the library into the ISC console?

Any other idea on what could block me from define a new drive?

P.S. I just ran xtalk on both of my drives and the are working well, no problem with them.

thx

Guillaume

As mentioned in the other thread, yes, it could very well be a driver problem in my experience.

And as in the other thread, not a mention of your OS. Which might help us help you.

It is running under win 2003 server.
The library is a IBM 4560SLX.

Here is the drivers version

4560-SLX Windows 2000 Device Driver Version 1.0.

IBM SDLT Tape Driver 2.4.4
for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003
32 and 64-bit Intel Platforms - QntmDLT.sys

If anybody have newer version of these drivers, I would appreciate to get it if possible.

thx

HI, I already try this one earlier this week, the problem with it is after I installed it, I got an unknown media changer changer into the device manager instead of the IBM 4560slx media changers.

I will try to install only the drives drivers from that package and keep the 4560-SLX Windows 2000 Device Driver Version 1.0 for the library.

Do you guys have any other ideas or drivers version to propose ?

thx

Guillaume

I tried several different drivers, but I think I found what could cause the the I/O error occured while accessing the 4560SLX library.

The drives were on the Bus 2 and are now on the Bus 0
(Bus Number 0, Target ID 1, LUN 0).

DO you think it could be the reason why the library cannont be accessed?

If yes, Where and how can I switch it back to the bus number 2?

thx

Just update the path definitions with the correct device as given by tsmdlst.exe

I tried to run tsmdlst.exe but nothing happen, the Dos windows disapears as soon as it appears.

My Library status is good but I cannot add a path to it, I still got the I/O error occured while accessing the 4560SLX library.

I have no idea what could cause the library communication problem.

I tried to let windows manage the library by enabling the removable storage on the mmc and it seems to work well, So I guess the drivers are correct, right?

Start a command prompt, cd to the correct directory and start tsmdlst in there. You'll be returned to a prompt, and the output will still be there for you.

The correct drivers for Windows may be different from the correct drivers for TSM, so as long as you get I/O errors when accessing it, do not jump to conclusions about the drivers being correct for the environment you are using, based on results you can only get in an environment you do not want to be using.

Here is the result :

Computer Name: LGSFSATSM01
OS Version: 5.2
OS Build #: 3790
TSM Device Driver: TSMScsi - Not Running
No HBAs were detected.
Reason: Unable to load HBA vendor library.
TSM Name ID LUN Bus Port SSN WWN TSM Typ
e Device Identifier
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------
mt1.0.0.3 1 0 0 3 - - GENERIC
TAPEQUANTUM SDLT320 4646
mt2.0.0.3 2 0 0 3 - - GENERIC
TAPEQUANTUM SDLT320 4646
Completed in: 0 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 1 seconds.

The problem seems to be the TSM Device Driver: TSMScsi - Not Running
No HBAs were detected.
Reason: Unable to load HBA vendor library.

I tried to run tsmscsi.exe but I got this message : TSM Windows 2000 / Optical support is disabled on LGSFSATSM01.

I also found this link on the IBM site relatively to the error message Im receiving. http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docvie...0&uid=swg21218357&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=all

Do you think that procedure could help me fixing my library or do you propose something else?

thx

Not sure if that'll fix your problem. Not sure if that's the root cause of the problem you're having.

I find it suspicious your TSMScsi is not running, and you do not want TSM Type GENERIC, you want the correct identifier, probably DLT. This still points to a wrong driver. My apologies if I sound like a broken record, but fix the darn drivers! You're never going to get it right if you don't have the correct drivers. Get someone to do it for you if necessary.

the TSM SCSI driver should not be loaded for this type of machine.

Prior to defining a drive, you need to define the path to the tape library. Once the tape library is running, then you can define the drives and the paths.

Also, ensure that the RSM service is turned off

Ronald C delaware
IBM Sr. Consultant
925-457-9221

Are you running 2003 SP2? I had the same issues running that version of Windows. I downleveled to SP1 and everything worked like a champ.

Back