AIX/TSM Time Sync.

Kendall_Link

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
OK, before I start out I need to warn you I am total TSM/AIX newb! Anyway, this weekend Time went ahead one hour. Our TSM server however did not automagically preform the time change. I was wondering 2 things:

1 - what is the command in AIX to change the date/time?

2 - is there any built in function to sync up the time to a time server?

Thanks,

Ken (I.E. Super Newb.... But learning!)

OK... i'm a moron! I don't know why I didn't think of it before... Just use the DATE command... anyway, i'm still wondering if there is any way to sync up the AIX to our intenal NTP server?

Any thoughts?

Ken

First, configure the /etc/ntp.conf file to point to your ntp server. Something like this:

server 10.0.0.1 version 3

tracefile /etc/ntp.trace

Then, you need to enable ntp on startup by un-commenting the line in /etc/rc.tcpip:

start /usr/sbin/xntpd "$src_running"

ntp will now start on next reboot. You can start it manually by running /usr/sbin/xntpd

Also, you need to verify that you have the TimeZone setup on the AIX box because it should have changed time correctly for you. I'm in Indiana so we don't change time or I'd tell you how to set it up.

-Aaron

Hey thanks for the reply. Got it setup. Like you said, I modified the ntp.conf file and added the server [ip address]. I uncommented the line in the /etc/rc.tcpip file (lots of intersting things in there). I started the process by using the startsrc -s xntpd & command. That seemed to at least get the process started and running until I have a chance to reboot the system. And thanks for mentioning about the time zone... it wasn't setup correctly and ended up changing the server time ahead 2 hours when it finally sync'ed with our NTP server. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Ken

Back