AIX simulater

tsmlover

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
hello

I have to deploy TSM on AIX, does anybuddy know where can i get AIX simulater to practice AIX em a windows user and i didn't use AIX before

Hi Tsmlover,

As far as I know there is no simulator/emulator available that you can run AIX on. You need to have a Power-based IBM server to run AIX.

Aroon

is there any step by step tutorial or guide to learn AIX em a windows user i didn't work on AIX or linux before ...... i have to deploy TSM on AIX first time em scared of AIX....

how can i practice AIX and how to install on my computer i've no IBM power server

Hi,

TSM admin guide for AIX has steps for successfull installation - so read it.
There is a "magic" command in AIX - called "smitty" (or "smit" for GUI version) - it can help you with configuration and administration of everything (almost) you need - SW instalation, device configuration etc.

Start with TSM for Linux - it can help you with understanding the differences between Windows and *nix worlds (using dsm.sys+dsm.opt vs dsm.opt, no "-k" switch for TSM server instances - use variables .... etc.)

Harry

i'd say get your hands dirty with Linux. You could always install something like Cygwin on your Windows box or maybe even run a vmware instance of Linux on your PC...
Maybe even a Live CD of Linux could do the trick. Aix is a UNIX flavor...So, you could "learn" the basics through Linux...it is similar in a way.

I've run TSM on Windows,Linux,Solaris and now AIX. Trust me, your making the right choice by going to AIX :)
In all honesty, AIX is far easier to administer than Linux. This is primarily because of that of that "Magic" command. You will also find better integration. If short, if you can do Linux, you will find AIX much easier. The only problem I had with AIX, is understanding the LVM stuff. NOT having Linux knowledge will auctually help you in this dept.

I have managed both TSM instances on Windoze and AIX and once you have installed and configured your server TSM is not that much different.

This should not be a difficult change for a seasoned admin.

But YES, TSM on AIX is not only more stable but is far less problematic and when an issue occurs there is only one throat to choke,, (IBM) :)

Back