Addition of new ts3310 tape unit

rstockon

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
We recevided a new ts3310 tape unit and we are currenly using a ts3310 unit with 120 LT04 tapes. How do we add the new tape unit and define it to be an addition to the the current unit which would give use another 120 tapes?

Thanks,

Russ

TS3310 stand alone library? With drives and E9U expansions?
Define it as a new library and configure it in TSM as a target for migration as a next storage pool.
I thought the TS3310 came with a base 100 slots and could be built out to 400 more or less with 4 E9U expansion units.
Please clarify.

Thanks etchingsj,

Yes and yes. We are not typically a TSM shop, the TSM system is part of IBM CMOD. We do not have a TSM adminstrator so when we started filling up the tapes on our system management ordered the expansion unit. They wanted to be able to expand our number of tapes and also use it for backup purposes.

Thanks,

Russ

Ok, so what I gather you have one TS3310 maxed out on frames (4xE9U) and now you are adding a second library.
What Os is your TSM server?

If the Os can see the hardware just define and path the library using the below syntax which you may modify the name of the library etc.
If the Os does not see the library or there is some other issue reply and let me know.

From a Windows TSM install

DEFINE LIBRARY YOURLIBNAME LIBTYPE=SCSI (Define the library)
DEFINE PATH YOURBACKUPSERVER YOURLIBNAME SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=LIBRARY
DEVICE=lb0.1.1.2 ONLINE=YES (Supply the path)
DEFINE DRIVE 3310LIBA DRIVE0 (Define a Drive)
Repeat for additional drives
DEFINE PATH YOURBACKUPSERVER DRIVE0 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE
LIBRARY=3310LIBA DEVICE=mt0.0.1.2 ONLINE=YES (Path the drive)
Repeat for additional drives

In Windows you find the device with ntutil and AIX lsdev.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
We are AIX.

I did the 'Lsdev -C -c tape' command and following are the results of what we have in the way of tape drives.

rmt0 Available 07-01-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt1 Available 04-00-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
smc0 Available 07-01-02 IBM 3576 Library Medium Changer (FCP)

Thanks

We have the a 3576-E9U installed and have a received a "ts3310 - 3576-E9U Expansion Unit with 2 tape drives" to install. Does the new one have to be setup as a separate stgpool or can it be added to the existing E9U to expand the number of tapes available?

3576-E9U

SO you added an E9U to your existing TS3310? Because an E9U is 100 slots so you still can build it out to 400 as 4 E9U's can go on one TS3310 (3584LIB)
If so just define the new drives and path, update or redfine the library and do a show slots <libname>

We haven't added it yet, but from what I think you are saying is that when we add it we can define it as an addition to what we have now. Which will add 120 tapes to our current 120 tapes. Sorry about the questions, I am new to TSM. Kind of got dropped into it when our only knowledgeable TSM person left the company.

Thanks

No problem,
Should be easy and straight forward to update or delete and redefine the library to pick up the new 120.
Just try to update the library first with update libra <libname> and then update the path to the library.
Then run a "show slots <libname> to see if your slot count increased.

When I do "show slots" on our current library it does not show any BARCODE inforamtion for any of the slots, is this normal?

Example:

Slot 0, status Allocated, element number 4096, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=427, elemT=ANY
Slot 1, status Allocated, element number 4097, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=427, elemT=ANY
Slot 2, status Allocated, element number 4098, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=427, elemT=ANY

Thanks

Should be a summary at the top with the drives.

So... Q libr
and then show slots TS3310LIBB or whatever your library name is. The output should look similar.

tsm: TSM1>sh slots ibm3500lib
PVR slot information for library IBM3500LIB.
Library : IBM3500LIB
Product Id : 03584L22
Support module : 4

Mount count : 2

Drives : 24
Slots : 600
Changers : 8
Import/Exports : 255

Device : /dev/smc0

Drive 0, element 257
Drive 1, element 258
Drive 2, element 259
Drive 3, element 260
Drive 4, element 261
Drive 5, element 262
Drive 6, element 263

Changer 0, element 1
Changer 1, element 2

ImpExp 0, element number 769
ImpExp 1, element number 770
ImpExp 2, element number 771
ImpExp 3, element number 772
ImpExp 4, element number 773
ImpExp 5, element number 774
ImpExp 6, element number 775
ImpExp 7, element number 776
ImpExp 8, element number 777
ImpExp 9, element number 778

**** Abbreviated****

Let me know
Are those slots empty?
My VTL has similar output.

Following is more detail of what I get with "show slots ts3310". The slots are not empty.

tsm: TSMOND>show slots ts3310
PVR slot information for library TS3310.
Library : TS3310
Product Id : 3576-MTL
Support module : 4

Mount count : 1

Drives : 2
Slots : 126
Changers : 1
Import/Exports : 6

Device : /dev/smc0

Drive 0, element 256
Drive 1, element 257

Changer 0, element 1

ImpExp 0, element number 16
ImpExp 1, element number 17
ImpExp 2, element number 18
ImpExp 3, element number 19
ImpExp 4, element number 20
ImpExp 5, element number 21
Slot 0, status Allocated, element number 4096, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=427, elemT=ANY
Slot 1, status Allocated, element number 4097, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=427, elemT=ANY
Slot 2, status Allocated, element number 4098, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=427, elemT=ANY
Slot 3, status Allocated, element number 4099, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=427, elemT=ANY
Slot 4, status Allocated, element number 4100, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=427, elemT=ANY
Slot 5, status Allocated, element number 4101, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=427, elemT=ANY
Slot 6, status Allocated, element number 4102, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=427, elemT=ANY

Slot 124, status Allocated, element number 4220, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=427, elemT=ANY
Slot 125, status Allocated, element number 4221, barcode not present, barcode value <>, devT=LTO, mediaT=427, elemT=ANY

Have you tried removing the library and redefining it?
You can use the output of devconfig to make a script to remove and redefine.
Essentially its just a collection of commands.
Then all your media would be checked back in to the "new" library.
Its fairly straight forward.
I can send you a script example if needed.

You don't need to redefine the library. Go into the TS3310 web management console and increase the TSM virtual library from 120 slots to the maximum number available. Restart TSM and it will pick up the new slot information on restart. Adding the drives is separate task. Have the drives added so you can see them in AIX. Start TSM and use the following commands changing the RMT numbers to your drive numbers along with the library and server names for your environment.

Code:
def dr <library_name> RMT5 ser=auto ONL=no elem=autod

def path <server_name> RMT5 srct=serv autod=y destt=dr libr=<library_name> devi=/dev/rmt5

Yea, good point. You need to make sure they are added in the library GUI as well as have the correct license applied or you will not be able to see them. I manage 4 accounts with TS3310 units and after the referenced steps have had to redefine the library, usually at the request of the IBM CE via PMR.
Maybe yours will just pick it up. I assumed the slots had been added to the logical library and licensed.
Let us know how it works out.

This is from our established ts3310 unit which has been in operation for almost 3 years. The slots have been licensed and the tapes are available and are accessed daily, and they are also visible using q libv. There does not appear to be a problem with the tapes or slots just the bar codes do not show up when issuing the show slots command. I was just assuming that "show slots" would show the barcode for the tapes that reside in the slots.

Thanks,

Every time you add an expansion unit you must add another capacity license.
You can thank IBM for that one. So at least check and look at you max available in your lib assignments.
And contrary to the last comment if you open a PMR they will most likely have you remove and redefine the library which takes far less time than it did to type all the comments we have all added ;)

I've added E9U expansions 3 times and not had to recreate the library. It may depend on whether the control path for the library is changing. Currently doing a number of changes to number of slots in two virtual libraries in a TS3310 and a restart of TSM picks up the changes. The commands I posted were to add the drives.

Certainly need to know if the virtual library has the slots assigned. Also, if the capacity on demand license key is not installed, you should still be able to access half of the slots.

Back