Add LTO4 drive support in TSM 5.4

Sapfeer

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We have Solaris 10 with TSM 5.4 and IBM TS3500 L3584 library with LTO4 drives. I added drives to TSM normally, but I wasn't able to write with them. I can't provide exact output, but I suppose it is because of TSM 5.4 doesn't support LTO4 drive... The type of this drives was stated to GENERICTAPE. Also I can't find the list of supported drive types for TSM 5.4 - link from Administration Guide refer to nowhere... I know that this support was added in version 5.5 and it can be added by installing some fix packs. I'm new to installing TSM fix packs and I want to get some guides and tips how to perform installation. I didn't found something interesting even in Software Support Handbook... Any advices appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello,
what drives (model) do you have?

I'm not sure... Next time I collect such information...

Seems most IBM LTO4 drives are supported on SUN since 5.4.1 (except Half Height - it is from 5.5.2 but I do not think these may be added to 3584)

I suppose we have TSM 5.4.0...

How did you get this link? Before this moment, I thought that can find at IBM site all I need, but know it is time to think over... But even if I have It, it's not helpfull - when I select LTO Tape Drive I receive 400 Bad Request message...

Do you use IBM device driver?

Also, since the system we're talking about is not mine, I mean i didn't configure it - I just maintain it at that moment, I can provide you with full information next time

Thanks a lot for help!..

Hi,
There is direct link to it from main TSM support page

Thank you very much! Next time I will be more attentive :)

I forgot - I knew this page very long time ago... Even I have offline version. I become very forgetful... $)

I'm looking at this thread and am not following. I run TSM server 5.4.3.0 on Solaris 10, with all LTO3 drives, so I use "format=DRIVE" on the device class.

But the Admin Guide says this...

If the drives are in a library that includes drives of different tape technology, do not use the DRIVE value. Use the specific format that the drives use.

So I will change my LTO3 device class format. What do I use for LTO4 since that is not an option?

Last edited:
You write to the LTO4 drives in the LTO3 format or you upgrade to TSM 5.5 where LTO4 support was added.

-Aaron

Ok thank you.

If tape drive compression enabled, format=Ultrium3
If tape drive compression disabled, format=Ultrium3C

As I remember, there is support for LTO4 in 5.4, but you need 5.4.2 level, or so. You can find it in readmes of TSM updates.

You are exactly right. I was looking in the Admin Reference for 5.4, which doesn't have it, but looking at command line help, it's there.

Thank you.

Hi,

Now I can say, that I have TSM 5.4.0.0 and 8 3588F4A drives in our L3584 library which I need to add to TSM. I consider to install 5.4.2.0 fix pack, but I have some doubts about installation process - here was said that "you will need to uninstall the old packages and install the new ones in the same paths", but, as I suppose, this procedure will completely destroy all TSM 5.4 data... Thus, if I want to preserve TSM data, I need to backup TSM DB before uninstalling TSM 5.4.0.0 and restore it after installing TSM 5.4.2.0... Is it the only one way to upgrade TSM 5.4.0.0 to 5.4.2.0?..

I've searched forum and found a lot of posts, saying that there is no need to uninstall old TSM packages.

Thanks all

Uninstall of TSM will NOT destroy all of your data, since your data is under istance (usually called "server1") and its conf files, database, logvols, pools... should remain in place after uninstall.
I am aware of the IBM official recomendation to do uninstall before upgrade, but I never did it, I always simply upgrade the software, which basicaly do the same - uninstall old and install new binaries. But also, I have never did any installation of TSM Server on Solaris, so I am not ready to tell it to you "go just upgrade".
BTW, is there any particular reason for you not to go directly to 5.5?

Uninstall of TSM will NOT destroy all of your data, since your data is under istance (usually called "server1") and its conf files, database, logvols, pools... should remain in place after uninstall.
I've never performed TSM uninstall so I just thought that uninstall process will remove all TSM data, though it sounds some oddly.
BTW, is there any particular reason for you not to go directly to 5.5?
I've read a lot of posts about upgrading from TSM 5.x to TSM 5.5 and I know that I can just download TSM 5.5.x and install it, but I don't understand if IBM allow installing new version over old one ABSOLUTELY free!.. If I got it right, all we need to buy is a license, not a TSM code instance, right? If so, what about downloading TSM 6.x version?.. Now it is closed for download... I confused with IBM licensing rules...

As far as I know, as long as you have maintenance with IBM you can download new versions. If your maintance has expired, you can only download patches.
About TSM 6.1:
It is whole new story, and as can see here on forum, there is no luck with that version yet.
5.4 and 5.5 are almost the same, I see no big difference between them, so if upgrading (and have IBM maintenance) I would recommend to go straight to latest 5.5.x. But latest 5.4.x would be fine as well (if maintenance has expired).

As far as I know, as long as you have maintenance with IBM you can download new versions. If your maintance has expired, you can only download patches.
Yes, it is true, but what we have here: on IBM ftp site I can download and upgrade my TSM server from version 3.1 to version 5.5.2 even if my maintenance has expired! It is a 3 (!) version difference! It is a breach in consideration that IBM allow download and install only patches - I can upgrade my TSM whenever I want... I can exhaustively learn IBM Lisensing information and find exact answer, but I have no time for it now.

Finally, it doesn't matter - I've found out all the answers I needed, so I can upgrade my TSM to newer version...

Back