ACN5798E message on Exchange w/SP 2

pstacy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I started getting the following message appearing on our nightly Exchange backups a few nights ago. We have not made any changes to our Exchange system for a long time. We did a reboot of the server three days ago when the trouble was first noticed but that does not appear to have helped.

ACN5798E MS Exchange API HRESEBACKUPREADFILE() failed with HRESULT: 0xc7ff1004 - Error returned from an ESE function call (-1018)

We are running Windows Server 2003 SP2 with Exchange 2003 SP2 (v. 6.5.7638.1)

This message only appears on one of our email storage groups. We have a second one also for email and one for the Public Folders which are backing up fine, though the one that is having the trouble is the largest of all.

I had seen some references to issues with SP1 and Microsoft having a hotfix 889528 but I wasn't sure if this would apply to SP2.

Thank you.

Did you find any resolution? We are getting the same error but doing a restore of a mailbox store using Tivoli.

ACN5798E MS Exchange API HRESERESTORECOMPLETE() failed with HRESULT: 0xc7ff1004 -Error returned from an ESE function call (-514).

We found that the Exchange storage group had become corrupted. We ended up having to create a new group and migrate everyone in it to the new one. After that the trouble cleared up and we deleted the old group from the exchange server.

We had the same thing happen a couple months ago to the other storage group we have and had to do the same thing and it cleared up the trouble there as well.

There never was a problem with Tivoli in this case. It was just trying to read corrupted data and couldn't handle it.

Back