Access denied error starting scheduler on Vista

fredhoulihan

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Users with administrator rights are able to install and configure the Windows client on a Vista system, and can start and stop other services, but get an access denied error when attempting to start the scheduler.

Any suggestions on the best way to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

What version of TSM agent are you using on Vista? I am not even sure if any TSM agent version supports Vista. With all the crazy security barriers on Vista, who knows what is going on inside the registry!!

I will stay away from Vista as much as I can!! :)

Try this: Can you change the "Log on as" properties on the scheduler to reflect the local administrator rather than the local System account (which is the default and I presume it is still the way it is set currently unless you have made changes)? If you can save the changes, try again to start the service. Other than this, the next step will most definitely be a registry hack or bringing down the security barriers of Vista.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find out which version they were using. I believe it is 5.3.5. The problem is that we are the TSM support for a large university and people are buying systems pre-installed with Vista, so if we don't support them with TSM they will find some other solution (or at least try to).:confused:

I just got a new Thinkpad pre-installed with Vista Premium, and I'm going to see if I can make the 5.4 client work with it.

The solution to this particular issue is to go to Control Panel, then to User Accounts, and then turn off Access Control.

Then the Scheduler service starts OK.:)

Client versions prior to some rather recent version had Vista toleration at best. At some point, Vista got supported. (Insert IBM mistake here. Vista should *NOT* be supported.) RTFM. In case of Vista, this may not even be enough.

Back