A lot DB VOLUMES in my TSM DB

jssanche

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I do have my TSM Server (Version 5.3.2.0) running under Win2003. During the last two years I ran the EXTEND DB command several times in order to increase the TSM DB space, but there're around 14 DB volumes at this moment.
I am afraid there's another way to manage the DB space, but I am not sure how to accomplish this.

My questions:
Is correct to extend once again the TSM DB space? Is it usually in TSM administration task?
Is there a procedure or method available to reduce the DB VOLUMES from many to just one DB VOLUME.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I dont think 14 db volumes can be a problem...!!!!

Anyways, could you tell what is your TSM db size?

Regards'
Tariq

Go Ahead

Yup, this is the exact way to define/delete a db or log volume.

And should be given "great care" while performing the operations. Better have a coffee before doing so ;)

Good Luck :up:

I think I read somewhere that 9GB is the "sweet spot" for DB volumes. Of course I might have also heard that from one of the IBM tech support guys. Currently my DB is 85G. I plan on upgrading to 6.1 before allowing it to go over 100G :eek:

Why do you want to reduce your volumes db ?
What is the percent utilized of your db ? if it's less 80% you don't need to add more space.
WIN send to you the link for your reorganize your database. But before, you do search if it's necessary, with the command ESTIMATE DBREORGSTATS.

I think I read somewhere that 9GB is the "sweet spot" for DB volumes. Of course I might have also heard that from one of the IBM tech support guys. Currently my DB is 85G. I plan on upgrading to 6.1 before allowing it to go over 100G :eek:

Is TSM 6 known for reducing DB size ??

Is TSM 6 known for reducing DB size ??

No, I've heard that it will actually increase by around 20%. Supposedly,
TSM 6.1 performance will not degrade nearly as much as you go over 100G.
IBM suggest that 6.1 can easily support a 500G database.

Back