a better way?

rwhtmv

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Here are my dsm.opt file inclusions and exclusions on a node. It process from the bottom up, and I confirmed with TSM support that the includes should be above the excludes, and to be careful of "exclude.dir" scenarios because those override others. I want to backup ONLY the shares below, and their subdirs and files.

include.backup "*:\shares\users\...\*"
include.backup "*:\shares\tech2$\...\*"
include.backup "*:\shares\company\...\*"
exclude.backup "*:\...\*"

So, in the TMS gui I can still see directories on my C:\drive, but the files inside them are all excluded (little red circle). How did it not exclude subdirectory objects along with the files within them? If I put in an exclude.dir statement at the bottom, won't it override my include.backup lines if they apply to the same directories?

I realize backup objects are small, but I am getting a ton of heat from above on reducing our TSM footprint, and to clean up unneccessary backups.

uggh

I just checked and also all the files in the shares are NOT included, as I wanted to also accomplish. They are excluded as well. Am I blind or missing something?

Exclude options are checked from the bottom of the include-exclude list up, until a match is found.
So the TSM client finds "exclude "*:\...\*" as first

exclude.backup "*:\...\*"

include.backup "*:\shares\users\...\*"
include.backup "*:\shares\tech2$\...\*"
include.backup "*:\shares\company\...\*"

I want to exclude an entire directory except for on sub directory. My scenario is that my directory is AppBaseG. I want to exclude all sub directories except for Global. I want to backup this subdirectory and all files and folders underneath it. I checked out some previous posting on this site and tried to put the following statements in the dsm.opt file. They did not work. I know that it reads the file from bottom up.

include f:\AppBaseG\Global\*.* (This will include the files at the root of f:\AppBaseG\Global)
include f:\AppBaseG\Global\...\*.* (This will include every subfolder and files under f:\AppBaseG\Global)
exclude.dir f:\AppBaseG

Does anyone have any better ideas on how I can do this?

Exclude.dir is read first so you have to remove the exclude.dir and do the following.

exclude f:\AppBaseG\...\*.* (This will EXCLUDE everything from AppBaseG not included)
include f:\AppBaseG\Global\*.* (This will include the files at the root of f:\AppBaseG\Global)
include f:\AppBaseG\Global\...\*.* (This will include every subfolder and files under f:\AppBaseG\Global)

Just an FYI - * and *.* are not the same. *.* mean exlcude anything with a period in the name whereas * excludes EVERYTHING.

Back