6.2 DB growing very quick

csops

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I upgraded to TSM 6.2 in August and I'm beginning to worry about the growth rate of my DB. I turned on DeDeup a few months back and the DB has grown from 18GB to 135GB in 3 months. The DB is now growing at roughly 10GB per month. I have allocated 200GB to the DB Volume but I can add more to the LUN from the SAN.

I have 144 nodes all backing up varying of data. I added about 20 new nodes about 2 months ago and this is reflected by a larger growth in the DB during that period.

Is this expected growth rate and will it ever even out? I don't think I can sustain this growth. 6.2 (DB2) seems to be space hungry.

Regards,

csops

The rate on DB growth depends on the amount of data the TSM server is tracking. The DB gets even more bloated if you have very many small files being backed up. De-dup adds to this complexity as TSM tries to 'remember' through the DB which file is which among the many nodes being de-dup'ed. The more nodes grouped for de-duplication, the more TSM needs to track this information.

One question: are you keeping the de-dup'ed files all on Disk? How many versions are kept?

If you can upgrade to 6.2.3 or later, try to do so. The later patches might alleviate this issue.

It's not a problem right now but it will become a problem in time. 5 version and I'm keeping all deduped files on disk.

I'm currently on 6.2.2.30

Back