5.2 client with 4.2 server?

rpigott

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a 4.2 server running on Aix 4.3.3. It is planned to upgrade the server to Aix 5.2 and TSM Server 5.2 but, in the meantime, I have clients to add. Is it possible to build these with a 5.2 client and back them up to a 4.2 server? This will save me upgrading the clients after the server is upgraded.

I know LAN Free will not work and I also know that NT4 will not work. Possible clients will be W2K or Aix 5.2.

We had some 5.2 clients with 5.1 server and it worked fine. I would suggest you test the restore of a Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 file and the registry. Registry is easy, take a test machine and use a registry editor to delete something like the spooler service then restore the system, if it comes back then it works. You may also need to test a restore of AD (if you are using it). There is always the chance the test system will not boot after the test.

Andy

Thanks for this - I guess you're right. I just need to test it as much as I can. Certainly with a 4.2 server I will have no support whatsoever from IBM.

I have had confirmation from IBM that a 5.1.7 client will be ok backing up to 4.2. :)

Back