3590H upgrade - IBMtape will not install

johnw

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello all

Have just upgraded our IBM 3590E SCSI drives to IBM 3590H Fibre drives.

The drives are connected to Emulex LP9002S HBA (1 per drive - 4 drives and 4 cards)

I have deleted the device tree for the old drives, done a reconfigure reboot and tried to install IBMtape but it fails as it cannot contact the drives.

The link lights on the Emulex cards are ok and the cards and drives are communicating at a low level as the drives now have assigned addresses!

Anyone have any clues?

Emulex were helpful, IBM said speak to Sun and Sun said speak to IBM

Setup is:

Sun E5500 running Solaris 2.6

TSM 5.1.8.0

Emulex LP9002S (Driver down rev'd to 5.01e-1 at IBM request)

IBM 3590H in IBM 3494

Please help!!!!

Cheers

John

--------------------------------------------------------

Firstly IBMtape was already installed to the correct version, the only reason I was re-installing it (and failing) is beacause I couldn't see the new fibre attached drives. Once it was obvious it was a driver problem (IBMtape) it got a bit easier with the help of IBM.

Secondly, this solution may only be applicable to drives attached individually to an Emulex card and not via a switch as the LUN settings required may differ. IBM should be able to assist with that though when they finish writing the READme!

The answer to this conundrum is::

1) Once drives are removed from your library/server remover the /dev/rmt/* tree.

2) When the CE installs the Fibre upgrade make sure he sets hard addressing.

3) Use the Emulex utility lputil to set persistent bindings for each card/drive connection. -

Take the BIND AUTOMAPPED TARGETS options, this will assign individual tagets to the Drive/Card connection which can be used in the IBMtape.conf file.

4) Edit the IBMtape.conf changing the TARGET id's to whatever you got from the above commands and the LUN id's to 0.

5) on Solaris , run drvconfig to build the devices tree and run tapes to recreate the /dev/rmt/* path. Alternatively you could use a Reconfigure reboot.

6) The READme for IBMTAPE/Tivoli regarding 3590 H support is out of date as it is written for version 4.x!

As all my drives were replaced ( i.e. not a library with mixed drives) the procedure for drives changes is:

TSM 4.x - Delete and redefine the drives:

delete drive x

defin drvie x

TSM 5.1- Delete and redefine the paths and drives, I found this sequence worked:

offline path xxxx

delete path xxxx

delete drive xxxx

define drive xxxx (using what ever the new /dev/rmt definitions are)

define path xxxx (use online=no)

upd path xxx online=yes

7) update your stgpool as per the README (readonly)

:cool: If you have no scratch tapes already in the lib, initialse some in the new format

9) move media on your onsite storage pools (if you want to).

Good luck as readmes for Solaris 3590H upgrades don't seem to exist and the IBMtape/Tivoli 3590H readme is only applicable to TSM V4.x.

I'm not sure if its true but Emulex cards are required for this upgrade as IBM may not support the JNI ones, please check though.

Cheers

John

:grin:

Back