Generate Backupset

CharlieTSM

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

I am trying to preserve some archived data that is about to expire.
The archive is currently using a management class with just 365 days of retention and I want to keep this data forever

I found the Backupset option and I want to know if it is possible to keep this data forever using this

GENerate BACKUPSET--node_name--backup_set_name_prefix devclass=devclassname retention=No limit

Thanks

PREDATAR Control23

That won`t work, a backupset is for backups. There is no archiveset.

You have a few options:
- export that node`s data (you have to track it manually outside TSM)
- Increase the retention of the management class
- retrieve the data to a temporary space, and re-archive it to a new management class that has the desired retention

Preferred option would be 2nd or 3rd. Second has the downside of affecting all objects archived to that management class.

I guess there's another option if you want all the archives for that node to be kept forever:
- copy the domain that node belongs to a new domain (HELP COPY DOMAIN)
- update the management class in question in the new domain to have a retention of forever (HELP UPDATE CO)
- change the node to the new domain (HELP UPDATE NODE)

PREDATAR Control23

That won`t work, a backupset is for backups. There is no archiveset.

You have a few options:
- export that node`s data (you have to track it manually outside TSM)
- Increase the retention of the management class
- retrieve the data to a temporary space, and re-archive it to a new management class that has the desired retention

Preferred option would be 2nd or 3rd. Second has the downside of affecting all objects archived to that management class.

I guess there's another option if you want all the archives for that node to be kept forever:
- copy the domain that node belongs to a new domain (HELP COPY DOMAIN)
- update the management class in question in the new domain to have a retention of forever (HELP UPDATE CO)
- change the node to the new domain (HELP UPDATE NODE)
Thanks for your answer

1. Increasing retention of current management class will only affect new archives right? the data previously archived will remain binned to the retention settings at the time of archive, right?

2. Last option seems the best option for me, but i recall seeing in this forum that new retention settings will only affect backup data and old archived data wont be affected, just new one. ..i am confused...Actually i found the post

"
Archive Data:
Previously archived files do not get rebound to a new domain or copygroup. Archives are not subject to the same versioning constraints and each archive package is treated as separate from the others. So if you had 365 days retention in the previous domain, and 730 days retention in the new domain, the old files will still expire after 1 year. Any new files will kept for 2 years."

"

PREDATAR Control23

1. Increasing retention of current management class will only affect new archives right? the data previously archived will remain binned to the retention settings at the time of archive, right?
Wrong, it affects all objects currently bound to the management class.
2. Last option seems the best option for me, but i recall seeing in this forum that new retention settings will only affect backup data and old archived data wont be affected, just new one. ..i am confused...Actually i found the post

"
Archive Data:
Previously archived files do not get rebound to a new domain or copygroup. Archives are not subject to the same versioning constraints and each archive package is treated as separate from the others. So if you had 365 days retention in the previous domain, and 730 days retention in the new domain, the old files will still expire after 1 year. Any new files will kept for 2 years."

"
It is not rebinding. It remains bound to the same management class within the domain. If y ou change to the node to a new domain, it will use the management class settings from the new domain, assuming the management class exists. If it doesn't, it defaults to the default management class. If you copy the original domain, then all the management classes will be copied over too.

What's the source of that quote, because it's inaccurate.

Every time the expiration runs, it looks at which management class the object is bound to, and look at the retention of the management class. It expires it if it exceeds the retention. That's why if you increase the retention, it will take effect. Equally, if you were to reduce the retention, you will see a bunch of objects suddenly expire.

PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

I found this on IBM site

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSTFZR_7.1.0/com.ibm.itsm.client.doc/c_mgtc_bind.html

"Archived files are never rebound to a different management class. If you change the management class for a file using an include.archive statement, the archmc option, or through a Tivoli Storage Manager GUI, any previous copies of the file that you archived remain bound to the management class specified when you archived the

Thats why I got confused, so i guess that when you change from management class old data is not rebound, but if you modify the MC as you said, old data does get affected.

I found out that I cannot modify existing MC, so moving node to new domain seems best option for me

This is the post from here where I found previous info
https://adsm.org/forum/index.php?th...-to-another-what-happens-to-older-data.26031/

It says that the data still cannot be kept for ever even when moving to a new domain.

I will take your word and move the node to a new domain with a no limit retention for archive. Thanks a lot