TS3310 Unable to Insert Tapes from I/O Station

zombiejerky

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I apologize up front if this has been answered before. I couldn't find a previous post about this.

I am trying to insert tapes from the i/o station on a TS3310 and I am getting the following message:

"Please select only cartridges that are assigned to a logical library or only unassigned cartridges for this operation."

They show up on the I/O station screen (The TS3100 web interface) as being in the system logical library. Under normal circumstances, it asks me which logical library they should be put in, which is usually in the TSM logical library, but it doesn't even get to that screen. I have been using these tapes for some time now, with no configuration changes, so I'm not sure what is wrong.

Is there a way to unassign these tapes or change their logical library assignment to TSM while they are in the I/O station?

Thanks in advance for any help that is provided.

PREDATAR Control23

Open the I/O door(s), move every tape into a different I/O slot and close the door(s). You will then be able to select a logical library other than system and use the tapes as normal.

This is assuming that System was pressed as the logical library when inserting the tapes.

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you, I will give that a try. I read that in a setup guide for the TS3310 after I posted this.

I was hoping there was a way I could do it remotely as the library is at a Co-location about 60 miles from me. We have an offsite media storage company swap tapes for us, so I am hoping they can do this for me this week.

Thanks again for the help.

Open the I/O door(s), move every tape into a different I/O slot and close the door(s). You will then be able to select a logical library other than system and use the tapes as normal.

This is assuming that System was pressed as the logical library when inserting the tapes.

PREDATAR Control23

I realise I'm reviving an old post but the information is incorrect.

On the TS3310, using the LCD on the Library, go to Tools > System Settings > Manual Cartridge Assignment and disable it.

That should do it. No more prompt.

PREDATAR Control23

How would you put cleaning tapes in?

PREDATAR Control23

Hi DazRaz,

The first batch of cleaning tapes, I added through the LCD console but after that, I believe this can be done through the web GUI under 'I/O station'.

On my web GUI, I see two logical libraries listed, 'library_a' and 'Cleaning slots' So we should be able to move a new cleaning tape to an assigned cleaning tape slot.

Oh and there is also this link.

After reading the ridiculously large manual that comes with the TS3310, I can confirm that Cleaning cartridge operations can be done both on the console and via the web GUI.

PREDATAR Control23

The point is when you put cleaning tapes in the IO slots, you need assign the tapes to System if you are doing auto cleaning. If the library is auto assigning cartridges to one logical library, how do you change cleaning cartridges?

You have also assumed that only one logical library is in use. Your suggestion is not valid for everyone. At my site, we have two logical libraries and when we put cleaning tapes in, we get three choices for assignment - System (Cleaning Slots), LTO3 and LTO5. If the wrong choice is selected, opening the door and re-shuffling the tapes re-prompts you for assignment. I would suggest that this is a better suggestion than reconfiguring the library which could be disastrous if multiples logical libraries are in use even if the library is smart enough to do something different with cleaning cartridges.

Your suggestion could work if they were to configure the cleaning to be managed by the application. Personally, I'd much rather the library handled it.