Upgrading tsm server from 5.3.0.0 to 6.1 on AIX

nathrix

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

We have a new client and they want us to upgrade their environment to aix version 7 with tsm server version 6.2. They purchased new hardware for the new environment and they would like everything migrated from the old environment to the new environment.

Their current TSM server has the following:
- P550: AIX OS Level – AIX 5.2.0.0 + TSM Server version 5, release 3, level 0.0 + TSM Client version – Version 5, Release 3, Level 0.0

Don't worry about the client nodes for now.

I'm in the process of typing a mail asking them for more information e.g:
- q status
- q system
- q option
etc, etc...

The hardware for the new environment:
P740 Server
HMC Server
SAN Switch SAN24B
V7000 Storage
TS3100 Tape Library

I will provide more information after Wednesday's meeting on what we think the best way would be on upgrading and migrating from the old to the new environment going forward. We need to figure out if we should/could upgrade the existing environment and how far with the old hardware or re-create the old environment with the new hardware and upgrade it step by step, but there are many factors to look at.

I know of a few gotchas, but any advise with known gotchas I perhaps missed which I can compare with my notes will be much appreciated so that this exercise can be as painless as possible.

TSM 6.2.2 is needed to run under AIX 7.1 see this

I suggest installing 6.2.2 on AIX 7.1 and import the 5.3 database.

Yes, that link was the first place I went to have a look at the tsm supported os's. Didn't know you can import a 5.3.0.0 db into 6.2, that makes matters so much easier! Thanks moon-buddy

Yes, that link was the first place I went to have a look at the tsm supported os's. Didn't know you can import a 5.3.0.0 db into 6.2, that makes matters so much easier! Thanks moon-buddy

Sorry, I misread your version. I suggest updating to 5.4 or 5.5 (on the current machine) first before moving to 6.2.2.

Back