Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Windows Master Server :(

2008-04-24 11:06:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Windows Master Server :(
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: netbackup AT whelan-consulting.co DOT uk
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:43:38 -0500
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 8:22 AM, <netbackup AT whelan-consulting.co DOT uk> wrote:
Not being a Windows ________ (you can fill in the blank)
I would like to know your thoughts on the following configuration:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Standard x64 Edition
Service Pack 2

Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.60GHz
3.60GHZ, 5.93GB of RAM

Proliant DL360 G4

Is this powerful enough to be a master/media server with 8 LTO III drives and approximately 9 windows media servers 1 solaris and 2 hp-ux media servers all using the same 8 drives (4 in the case of HP-UX, but that's another story).

You can not drive 8 LTO-3 drives with a single DL360.  No way.  Don't even try.

If you have enough data that you require 8 LTO-3 drives - i.e, you're writing 500-800 MB/sec for a lengthy period of time, you're probably going to saturate that DL360 master even if it's not handling any media server functionality unless you're backing up mostly very large database images.  With that many media servers and tape drives, I would expect you to be in a highly-available clustered master configuration with some decent horsepower.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org