Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] I'm Lazy - BMR Primer

2008-04-24 14:58:12
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] I'm Lazy - BMR Primer
From: "Brooks, Jason" <brooksje AT longwood DOT edu>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:36:32 -0400
I just recently did this, migrating a physical server to a VM (MS Virtual
Server).

I took a BMR backup of the server and copied the client config to a new one.
Here's what goes:

1.  Change the MAC addy to the MAC of the virtual server
2.  Clean up the unneeded drivers.  We purged all the SCSI since the VM was
simply an IDE.
3.  Make sure the Network adapter used in the VM will work with BMR.  You'll
find out quickly when the restore time comes.
4.  Have the physical server offline, otherwise, it won't work.

I had to create a custom bootable CD from my SRT to get it to work.  Still not
sure why.

Good luck!

Jason