Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1: Disk staging causing heavy fragmentation

2008-02-20 12:32:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1: Disk staging causing heavy fragmentation
From: "Tony T." <rollthebones AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:12:01 -0600
On Feb 20, 2008 11:10 AM, Martin, Jonathan <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com> wrote:
I have found through testing when we first added some 16TB of storage for Disk-2-Disk that your fragmentation is going to be directly related to how many simultaneous streams you write to a DSU/DSSU at a time.  In my testing, I got a minimum amount of fragmentation with 1-2 Streams, a bit worse with 4 streams, and at my current 20 max streams we're completely 100% fragmented.  Sysinternals has a took that allows you to look at your disks sector by sector to look for fragmentation, but its a bit difficult to you use on disks that are 1TB or better.

I created this slide for a Netbackup Training presentation I did 6 months ago...

Wow, this is excellent! Thanks much for the insight.

T.