Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1: Disk staging causing heavy fragmentation

2008-02-20 11:47:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1: Disk staging causing heavy fragmentation
From: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
To: "Tony T." <rollthebones AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:21:24 -0000
Today's NTFS handles fragmentation alot better - in fact, FAT and FAT32 were really the main file systems that would always get fragmented. That is not to say NTFS is not immune to the fragmentation that people may experience, but there are ways around to minimise it even more.

Depending on the volume itself, and its intention is the key to keeping fragmentation down. When you format a volume you get the option of a "cluster" size. But you must be aware of what the volume itself will be storing. (for example, large files, or millions of small files).

By default, when formatting, Windows keeps a "default" setting in place. Choosing a smaller cluster variable will waste less disk space but likely to cause fragmentation.

Likewise, a larger cluster variable will cause less fragmentation but waste space. further details can be found in the online help of Win2k3, XP, 2000, ect !

Not to put my foot in it, but I am sure other systems suffer, but maybe its a NTFS thing ;-)
Simon.