Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1: Disk staging causing heavy fragmentation

2008-02-20 11:28:02
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1: Disk staging causing heavy fragmentation
From: "Tony T." <rollthebones AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:06:46 -0600

It's NTFS and you're creating and deleting a lot of files on the volume so of course it will fragment.  Either defragment the volume or set the minimum threshold lower so that more files get deleted when the cleanup process runs to reduce the fragmentation.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org

Thanks for the info guys.

It sounds like fragmentation is  just a given when it comes to backing up to disk?  I understand that, as seeing it explained does make sense.  I have been looking for some of this "well documented" information and have come up empty.  Searching for fragmentation on Symantecs site is like a journey through the looking glass.  I will keep looking, but if anyone has any links to a white paper or something it would be much appreciated.

Also, when you say "set the minimum threshold lower so that more files get deleted..."  This confused me; I mean, isn't the fragmentation being caused by so many file creation/deletions?  Wouldn't increasing the amount of files being deleted also increase the fragmentation?

Or did I misread that?

Thanks again for the info,

T.