Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VTL questions

2005-11-18 20:31:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VTL questions
From: kenneth.lee AT siemens DOT com (Lee, Kenneth (SBS US))
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:31:38 -0500
We are looking into VTL and I am getting conflicting stories.  Here is
what I want to do and I would like to know if it is possible.

I have a STK SL8500 physical tape library.  NetBackup 5.1 Solaris Master
server & media servers.

I would like the following:

1.      Backup some clients to VTL.
2.      At the same time, backup some clients to STK SL8500.
3.      In the day time, I would like the VTL to migrate the virtual
tapes to the STK SL8500 physical tape.  I don't want to do duplication
through NetBackup.  Since the VTL tapes have the same bar code as a
physical tapes, NetBackup will think that the tapes are ejected.

Questions:

If I attached the physical tape library to a VTL, can I still use the
same tape library for NetBackup?  One vendor said yes, another said no.
They both use FalconStor solution.

If I used the VTL to move the virtual tape to a physical type, during a
restore, will I need to bring the virtual tape back to the VTL before I
can restore?  My question is why can I not just put it into the physical
tape library as they have the same bar code?  I don't want to do any
importing either.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Ken