Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VTL questions

2005-11-20 19:55:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VTL questions
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:55:20 -0800 (PST)
> NetBackup uses the virtual tape but the appliance will write
> to a physical tape when you eject the tape from NetBackup.  Therefore,
> NetBackup will see only one tape, which is now on the physical tape with
> the same bar code.  The virtual tape is deleted.  This also removes the
> duplication process overhead of running from the media server.

Right.

> My problem with this is how the tapes will be restored.  Do I have to
> move it back to a VTL tape before restoring, or can I just use the
> physical tape as NetBackup is only aware of one tape.

As long as the VTL was moved to exactly one physical tape, you're not
forced to use the VTL.

One problem is that not all VTLs can accurately predict how much
compression you'll get on a tape.  On those, you can either give it a
figure and hope you get at least that much on tape, or you can create
basically a 'zero compression' size virtual tape that will always fit on
a physical tape.  That will reduce the storage you'd otherwise get.

> The vendors also said this is being done in a real environment.  Is
> anyone really doing this?

Yes.