Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up VMWare - best practices

2005-05-25 03:15:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up VMWare - best practices
From: Charles Ballowe <cballowe AT gmail DOT com> (Charles Ballowe)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 02:15:17 -0500
Seems to me that just backing up the image file to each virtual
machine gives you nothing in the way of incremental backups. This may
be fine if you're only using vmware as a consolidation platform for
small servers, but strikes me as wasteful if you do anything large on
it. Also, you'd lose the ability to recover individual files from
inside the instance without recovering the whole thing, starting an
instance using it, and then extracting the files. (or ... i forget ...
does vmware ship with a utility to loopback mount the image files and
manipulate the files in them?)

-Charlie