Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up VMWare - best practices

2005-05-25 02:01:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up VMWare - best practices
From: SWik AT oslo.westerngeco.slb DOT com (Svein Ingve Wik)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:01:27 +0200
--Boundary_(ID_yPqMZepjTtHywkdTY/bdYw)

Hi,

We've started to look at VMware, it seems like a nice platform.

Isn't enough just to backup the image file of each virtual machine?

Rgds,

Svein Ingve

At 07:28 25.05.2005, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We also backup VMWare, but we just use one agent per host. All VMs are
>suspended by script before being backed up. This is done using the
>bpstart_notify and bpend_notify scripts. These call a subscript which
>actually suspends the VMs. This method works fine and recoverability is good.
>
>We are investigating the option of installing a SAN Media server instance
>on each VMWare host. This would facilitate the host to backup directly to
>tape, using its own HBA instead of streaming the data to a Media Manager first.
>
>Kind regards,
>Kaspar Bosma
>System Enigeer
>

>----------

Hi,<br><br>
We've started to look at VMware, it seems like a nice platform.<br><br>
Isn't enough just to backup the image file of each virtual
machine?<br><br>
Rgds,<br><br>
Svein Ingve<br><br>
At 07:28 25.05.2005, you wrote:<br>
color="#000080">Hi,<br>
&nbsp;<br>
We also backup VMWare, but we just use one agent per host. All VMs are
suspended by script before being backed up. This is done using the
bpstart_notify and bpend_notify scripts. These call a subscript which
actually suspends the VMs. This method works fine and recoverability is
good.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
We are investigating the option of installing a SAN Media server instance
on each VMWare host. This would facilitate the host to backup directly to
tape, using its own HBA instead of streaming the data to a Media Manager
first.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Kind regards,<br>
Kaspar Bosma<br>
System Enigeer<br>
&nbsp;<br>
<hr>
veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu [<a
href="mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu"
eudora="autourl">mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</a>]
instances of VMWare clients.&nbsp; We have been told by Veritas that we can
purchase one agent to backup all instances.&nbsp; VMWare is saying that we will
need a client for each virtual machine.&nbsp; Anyone with any experience here
have any info?<br>
Thanks<br>

--Boundary_(ID_yPqMZepjTtHywkdTY/bdYw)--