Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SDLT Versus LTO

2004-04-28 08:50:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SDLT Versus LTO
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:50:05 -0400

----=_NextPart_ST_08_50_19_Wednesday_April_28_2004_23098

I'm interested to hear the educated opinions from the list.

We are looking into upgrading our two STK L700 libraries from 8 DLT8000
drives in each library to 8 SDLT 320 drives in each library. The reason
I'm so interested in SDLT is because I already have a significant
investment in DLT tapes and the backward compatibility is important to
me. I could keep one DLT drive around if I went with LTO but I think I'd
rather not do that.

Are there any experiences out there that anyone wishes to share on
their implementation of SDLT 320 tapes in STK L700 libraries? I'll take
any and everything (good news, bad news, horror stories etc;). I'd also
appreciate any experiences in going from DLT8000 to LTO.

So far we have experienced very few problems with the L700's in general
and minimal problems with the DLT8000 drives. I would like to think that
will continue to be true with SDLT 320's. I have heard that there are
some out their experiencing frequent problems with SDLT 220 tape drives
in L700 libraries. I'd also be interested to hear from you.

As part of the upgrade we will also be migrating our E450 servers to
Sun V880 servers with 4-Processors each.

Our current NetBackup environment is:

(2) Sun E450 Servers (1 master / 1 Media) each with an attached L700
library
NBU 4.5 (FP5)

Dennis F. Dwyer
Manager, Systems Software
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

"Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make
it right

----=_NextPart_ST_08_50_19_Wednesday_April_28_2004_23098

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Arial; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>I'm interested to hear the educated opinions from the list.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We are looking into upgrading our two STK L700 libraries from 8 DLT800=
0 drives in each library to 8 SDLT 320 drives in each library. The reason I=
'm so interested in SDLT is because I already have a significant investment=
 in DLT tapes and the backward compatibility is important to me. I could ke=
ep one DLT drive around if I went with LTO but I think I'd rather not do th=
at.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Are there any experiences out there that anyone wishes to share on the=
ir implementation of SDLT 320 tapes in STK L700 libraries? I'll take any an=
d everything (good news, bad news, horror stories etc;). I'd also appreciat=
e any experiences in going from DLT8000 to LTO.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So far we have experienced very few problems with the L700's in genera=
l and minimal problems with the DLT8000 drives. I would like to think that =
will continue to be true with SDLT 320's. I have heard that there are some =
out their experiencing frequent problems with SDLT 220 tape drives in L700 =
libraries. I'd also be interested to hear from you.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As part of the upgrade we will also be migrating our E450 servers to S=
un V880 servers with 4-Processors each.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Our current NetBackup environment is:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>(2) Sun E450 Servers (1 master / 1 Media) each with an attached L700 l=
ibrary</DIV>
<DIV>NBU 4.5 (FP5)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis F. Dwyer<BR>Manager, Systems Software<BR>Tampa Electric Company=
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>(813) 225-5181&nbsp; - Voice<BR>(813) 275-3599&nbsp; - FAX</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Visit our corporate website at <A href=3D"http://www.tecoenergy.com";>w=
ww.tecoenergy.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"Time is not a test of the truth"<BR>Translation: Just because you've =
always done it that way, doesn't make it right</DIV></BODY></HTML>

----=_NextPart_ST_08_50_19_Wednesday_April_28_2004_23098--