Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bptm logs

2003-12-18 10:35:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bptm logs
From: tlewick AT hrblock DOT com (Lewick, Taylor)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:35:28 -0600
Correct, per Veritas support, this parameter is incapable of
auto-negotiating to the slowest/lowest drive.  (That would be a nice
feature to see in 5.0, hint)

So if you have a media server that sees a mix of drives, say DLT 7000,
8000 and LTOs, then set it to 64K.  Otherwise, your restores "may" have
problems.  This is what they said.  i.e., trying to set the value too
high for an older tape may invalidate backups.  They suggested
increasing the SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS (buffer that writes to tape) to 256K
only on media servers that see only LTO drives.  But on all servers you
can bump up the NET_BUFFER_SZ (buffer that reads backup data from
network/client).