Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] using HCART (LTO) media in HCART2 (LTO2) drive

2003-07-25 04:39:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] using HCART (LTO) media in HCART2 (LTO2) drive
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 04:39:32 -0400 (EDT)
> I have a question regarding configuration which would allow to use
> LTO media in LTO2 drive. I have two LTO2 drives in STK 180 library
> configured on NetBackup Server as HCART2 drives. Appropriate storage
> unit is created, again, as a HCART2 storage unit. Originally, we
> created barcode rules which would allow as to import new, LTO2 media
> as HCART2 and old LTO media as HCART. Of course storage unit refused
> to accept HCART media for a backup.  Step two was to create second
> storage unit as HCART pointing to the same library and drives, and
> direct backups into that unit. Backup failed with error 219, storage
> unit is not available, however both drives were available for use. I

The drives themselves also have a type, which needs to match what's
in the storage unit.  You've created a storage unit basically saying
it could use any HCART drive it found in the robot, but there aren't
any.

> guess my question is if somebody has an experience in configuring
> NetBackup to accept lower density media in higher density drives and
> how it was done. Another thing I would like to try is to import LTO
> (HCART) media as HCART2 media, changing our barcode rule.  But I am
> concern that NetBackup would utilize it appropriate and write/read
> from tape without errors.

If you can use the tapes in the drives, NBU can also.  I am not sure
if there are different media for LTO and LTO2, and if so if they are
backward compatible.  If they are compatible, and you have only one
type of drive, then change the type of the media to all match the
drive type.

The reason there's HCART and HCART2, etc, is to keep different drive
types from trying to mount "foreign" tapes, or to keep tapes written
by a newer drive from being mounted in an older version (which would
presumedly not be able to read them and therefore consider them blank
tapes).

--
Larry Kingery
         "Would it help to confuse him if we ran away more?"