Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] using HCART (LTO) media in HCART2 (LTO2) drive

2003-07-28 09:10:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] using HCART (LTO) media in HCART2 (LTO2) drive
From: jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com (Jack L. Forester)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:10:53 -0400
This sounds similar to what we are going to have to deal with when we
switch from 9940A drives to 9940B drives.  Here is what we are thinking
of doing.

The 9940A and 9940B drives use identical media.  The "B" drives can read
tapes written by "A" drives but cannot append to tapes written by "A"
drives.  The "B" drives can also rewrite a tape (starting at BOT) that
was previously written by "A" drives.

The 9940A drives and media are configured as HCART type.  We intend to
configure the 9940B drives as HCART also.  This will allow NBU to mount
the tapes in the "B" drives.  All tapes written by the "A" drives that
have valid, unexpired images will be suspended so that NBU will not try
to mount them for a backup.  This will, however allow the tapes to be
mounted for restores.  Any tape that is not suspended is usable for
backups.

Now, this will work for us as we are going to replace all the 9940A
drives at once, so there will not be a mixture of 9940A and 9940B
drives.  If you are going to have a mixture of LTO and LTO2 drives, this
probably won't work.  StorageTek was gracious enough to loan us a couple
of 9940B tape drives so we can test this out as a proof of concept.

This is all with NBU 3.4

--
Jack L. Forester, Jr.
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator