Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpbkar unix process(es) chewing up cpu

2003-05-26 22:17:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpbkar unix process(es) chewing up cpu
From: Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com (Len Boyle)
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 22:17:56 -0400
Hello Wayne

We have seen multiple bpbkar running using cpu with a few special clients.
To see this, we had several machines with many small files. The full backups
were no problem, but with an incrementals we had a problem. When the client was
going thru the list of files trying to find one that required a backup, the
server would time out the client. The client   would just keep running. Then
another incremental backup would be started and the bpbkar count would now be
two.

The fix was to increase the timeout value and/or not backup the troubled
directories with incrementals.
The veritas fix if the timeout does not work is to buy another add on product.

len