Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpbkar unix process(es) chewing up cpu

2003-05-27 08:02:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpbkar unix process(es) chewing up cpu
From: GRABBEB AT dominos DOT com (Bob Grabbe)
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 08:02:05 -0400
This isn't just a unix problem, I have seen the same thing on several of
our Windows clients also. Cutting down on the number of files per
directory backed up does seem to help, though, either by moving some of
them or by excluding directories.
Unfortunately, Windows won't let you kill the process, the only way to
get rid of the extra bpbkar processes is to reboot the server.
Bob Grabbe
Dominos Pizza LLC
grabbeb AT dominos DOT com

Donaldson, Mark wrote, in part:

>Do you have client-side compression turned on?  It's a real CPU hog.

No.  These are occurring on a number of various types of Unix clients.

 They just seem to run forever.

Sometimes normal scheduled backups run OK, other times we get backup
failures
such as status code 41. Sometimes I find one of these rogue processes
... sometimes 2 .. once 3.

cheers, wayne