Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SSO problems with Solaris 2.6 and 2.8

2002-02-21 08:52:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SSO problems with Solaris 2.6 and 2.8
From: sibley_ken AT accorel DOT com (SIBLEY, Ken R. - ACCOREL)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:52:24 -0600
> Subject: [Veritas-bu] SSO problems with Solaris 2.6 and 2.8
>

> Guru's,
>

> I'm having trouble getting SSO backups to work on Solaris
> machines with
> tapes on the SAN. Here's the setup:
>

> One Unix Master Server, attached to STK L700
> Two Solaris media servers 2.8 and 2.6
> Win2k Media server.
>
> The Win2k server backups up fine he can see an SDLT drive and
> a 9940 on the
> SAN. The 2.6 machine sees 2 SDLT drives on the SAN. The 2.8
> machine sees a
> 9940 Driver on the SAN. When I try to run the backup it gets
> to a point
> where it tries to mount the tape and puts the tape in the
> drive, but after
> that , nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

A couple of things to check/try:
1) Make sure you either have the Sun patch for
drive reservation (I forget which one it is)
or have the drive reservation bit turned off on
each system in the st.conf.  I don't think this
is the problem, but good to check anyway.
2) Try using mt command to performa a status on
the drive.  If that works then try using tar
to write from unix to the tape drive (use a
blank non-NBU tape).  If this does not work
then look at st.conf, and make sure you have
the right devices.  If it does work then look
at how you have configured the multi-hosted
drives in NBU.  This is one of the few things
that the new java gui does better than the
motif gui.

Good Luck,
Ken Sibley
Sr Unix Admin