Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How will NetBackup behave

2001-12-07 10:45:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How will NetBackup behave
From: david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 09:45:27 -0600
the 1am backups will wait for an available drive.  The implication is that
the 8pm backup jobs that are ACTIVE will have to finish, since it is
multiplexed, it is only finished when the last MPX job submitted is
finished.  The class priority is not a preemptive feature, therefore ACTIVE
jobs do not look to see there is a higher priority class waiting for a tape
drive.  I believe bpsched will examine the queued jobs and see the 1am jobs
have a higher priority and thus will submit them now before any 8pm jobs
continue to run, but again this scenario is a bit skewed because of MPX,
non-MPX would probably be a better scenario for this explanation.

I'm trying to remember if I have tested this before or not...I know I have
used class priority before.

It all depends on whether bpsched examines the queued jobs or if once they
are queued, their order is set.

So, Veritas am I close?

David
David A. Chapa
NetBackup Consultant
DataStaff, Inc.
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
847 413 1144
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com