Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Pros or Cons between Backup Exec / ArcServe

2001-07-27 11:13:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Pros or Cons between Backup Exec / ArcServe
From: david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:13:07 -0500
Have you ever called CA for Arcserve Support?

I used to work for Cheyenne Software, back when we were the leader in the
market space, support and product features really couldn't be touched.  The
product and support has declined dramatically since then.  You will find
customers that will not change because Arcserve is working perfectly fine
for them and then there are the others that would rather throw it out the
window.  I just finished a project for a client where we replaced ALL of the
Arcserve with Netbackup.  This customer, during the transition period, had
the Arcserve Database corrupt itself several times.  For several months
Arcserve was reporting successful backups, when it was time to do a
historical restore, the data couldn't be found.  After digging deeper into
the logs they found that the backups were not in fact successful but failing
day after day.

I've cc'd Mark Deaton who has been with Arcada (BackupExec) since the early
1800's ;-)  He and I were competitor's when I was with Cheyenne, he may be
able to give you some more insight (sans the marketing hoo-haa).

david

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
847 413 1144
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com