Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup - slow on 9840's

2001-07-25 12:36:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup - slow on 9840's
From: steve AT neptune.on DOT ca (Steve Mickeler)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:36:35 -0400 (EDT)
Ive been doing some searching on various netbackup performance issues, but
I havent found anything usefull, so I will ask the list.

Im seeing slow backup times over my network. Everything is at
switched 100MB FD

ie: 8 hours to backup 70 GB of data

I have only 1 netbackup master server which has the robot attached to it.

The robot is part of an HP tape silo with 10 DLT drives. From what I can
tell, the drives are the STK 9840s.

The server is running Solaris 8 and netbackup 3.4.1

In st.conf it states:

#       "STK     9840"                                          Note 1
# Notes
# -----
#   1   Drive is configured automatically - no entry is needed in st.conf.

Is this true, or should something be added in to increase performance ?

I dont see any I/O wait on the servers being backed up, and the iostat on
the master server shows the tape drive bandwidth at around anywhere from
50-80 % used.

   r/s    w/s   kr/s   kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t  %w  %b device
    0.0   85.0    0.0 5354.9  0.0  0.7    0.0    8.4   0  71 rmt/0

Any suggestions as to a first place to look ?

Todays root password is brought to you by /dev/random

| Steve Mickeler * Network Operations |
|     Neptune Internet Services       |

1024D/ACB58D4F = 0227 164B D680 9E13 9168  AE28 843F 57D7 ACB5 8D4F