Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 96 errors

2001-07-09 13:40:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 96 errors
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 13:40:37 -0400
Have you been experiencing excessive media write errors? These usually manifest
themselves as physical media errors or tape drive errors. If you're running on
a UNIX server you can go to /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media and cat the errors
file. That will show you any problems you've been having with the media or the
drives. If you have been having media or drive errors, NetBackup places a tape
in a FROZEN status after so many tries (I forget how many). That's as good a
starting place as any I guess. You can UNFREEZE any tapes that were erroneously
FROZEN once you figure out what was causing them to be frozen in the first
place. That's about all I can offer up. I'm sure there are several other
possibilities. This is the one that has plagued me the most.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> Roland Guyon <rguyon777 AT yahoo DOT com> 07/09/01 01:01PM >>>
Please help,

I have been receiving 96 error codes (no media/tape
available for backup) however i have at least 20 to 30

tapes in the library.
Dug into it a little and found out that tape selection

is rejecting about 95% of the available tapes due to
being frozen, suspended, or max mount.
I only have maybe 7 tapes which are max mounted.
Why are the rest frozen or suspended?
Any tips on how to get to the bottom of this?
I have looked at bmtp logs, ran support and available
media but does not tell me much, only shows me a few
96 error code.
what should i look for?

thank you,
-roland