Networker

Re: [Networker] How to recover multiple paths?

2012-03-15 12:01:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to recover multiple paths?
From: George Sinclair <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:01:15 -0400
On 2012-03-14 19:02, bingo wrote:
I simply use it to run a partial recovery of a non-browsable save set. It saves
an additional scan process. And it works on save set which will never enter the
'browsable' state.
Of course it only helps if you have a clue about the absolute directory name.

If you are used to something you will use it forever. So far i never used the
-I option.
Thanks, bingo. I guess I'm just obtuse here, but I would do this. Let's say my non-browsable save set is /data/projects/felix, and I want to recover the following paths under felix:

data1/file1.txt
data1/file2.txt
data3/file3.txt

I would run the recover as: recover -s server -d relocation_dir -S ssid/cloneid /data/projects/felix/data1/file1.txt /data/projects/felix/data1/file2.txt
/data/projects/felix/data1/file3.txt

In this case, I'm confident that the desired (fully qualified) paths are specified correctly. Clearly, I'm performing a partial recovery, but NW is still going to read through all of the save set, even after it's finished recovering the files, unless I cancel the recovery, which I would do if I'm around at the time. It would be a lot easier if NW supported a '-I' option for this type of recovery as it would preclude me from having to pass in all the paths on the command (particularly in cases where there's a lot more than, say, three of them), but as Tom pointed out in his subsequent reply, I could use 'cat' to pass the list to the command.

But what is the '-a' option buying me if I used it here? I don't see how it factors in or applies?

Thanks.

George

|This was sent by carsten_reinfeld AT avus-cr DOT de via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or
unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -