Networker

Re: [Networker] How to recover multiple paths?

2012-03-18 04:28:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to recover multiple paths?
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 08:25:09 +0000
Hi George,

as you said, option -a is not buying you anything on a saveset recovery. You
are right. Actually it is not an option when using -S.

Not sure why you would expect NW not to scan the saveset during a saveset
recovery even if you were using an input file (which is anyway not an option as
you already said). That's what the CFI is for.

Running concurrent recoveries with fewer files on each CLI session, as
suggested on this thread, wouldn't work here and it doens't make sense either.
That is not how networker works. You can only run those sessions sequentially
on the same CLI.

If you don't have a CFI for that saveset, ther saveset recovery  can only scan
the full saveset and start recovery when it comes across the specified paths
during the scanning.

your choices
------------------

You need an index to do the recovery you are trying to perform.

If you cannot recover the index for that particular saveset then you will need
to scan the tape to re-create it.

If scanner doesn't apply here (i.e. if you are recovering an NDMP saveset)
then your only choice is to perform a recovery of the full saveset.

I don't see any other choices.

Note:

If you are dealing with an NDMP saveset and planning file level recoveries in
the long term, you need to apply  long retention to the index savesets (i.e.
same retention as the NDMP saveset so you will have both, saveset and index,
when needed) . You can keep your browse policy short and still be able to
perform file recoveries in the long term.

jee