Networker

Re: [Networker] How to recover multiple paths?

2012-03-14 18:21:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to recover multiple paths?
From: George Sinclair <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:18:25 -0400
On 2012-03-14 15:02, bingo wrote:
Sorry, but your statement:

    "The '-a' option checks the index without putting you in interactive mode. This
won't help on a save set recover for a save set that is no longer browsable."

is simply wrong. Instead it even works on save sets where no index info will
ever be written. For instance, i use it to recover the NW resource directory
from a bootstrap save set. I have done this for years. Just try it. And btw -
since NW 6.0 bootstraps never become browsable. And as they do not have
embedded file index info, you can not even scan these save sets. Well, actually
you can, but there is no info to retrieve.
Well, I've never used the '-a' option before, and recover has always worked fine, including 'recover -S'. What exactly is its purpose? Why use it or not use it? The man page for recover says:

"Specifies automatic file recovery with no interactive browsing. Path specifies one or more files or directories to be recovered."

to me that implies that it reads the index but doesn't present an image of the filesystem (save set) for you to traverse, i.e. interactive mode. Obviously, you can't browse entries that are no longer in the CFI. Or as you pointed out, a save set that never creates any information in the CFI.

The man page does mention that the '-a' option is to be used in conjunction with the '-I' option for the input file. I tried putting the path names in an input file and used the '-I' option, but the recover command proceeded to recover the entire save set, so I cancelled it and then re-tried it again with the '-I' and '-a' options, and it complained about "<path> not in index" for each of the paths in the input file. To me that means it wants to read the index, right?

I guess I'm confused about using '-a' without '-I'. Why? What does it do for you versus not using it (assuming there's nothing to browse)?

Thanks.

|This was sent by carsten_reinfeld AT avus-cr DOT de via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or
unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -