Networker

Re: [Networker] NW 7.6.2 and the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset

2011-08-23 16:31:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW 7.6.2 and the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:29:43 -0400
> That method is supported by the NetWorker DR support but will not
> help you. You can list specific files in the 'FilesNotToBackup'
> registry setting, but not entire volumes. In addition, once
> directories/files are listed in that registry setting, they will
> never be backed up for any type of backup.

Well, sure! Because otherwise it would be *easy*! LOL Don't mind me ...

> 1. Talk to Lotus to see how the system file(s) Lotus put on E:\ can
> be moved to a true system volume

The problem is not that, it's the reverse. E: is *not* a system volume.
Domino (for Notes) is self-contained. If I restore the E: drive from
regular backup, that's all it needs for a recovery. It just wants Windows,
even the Windows name can be different, I am told. There's no need for E:
anything to be in the system files, as far as we've been able to tell.
It's not like it uses the registry like "regular" Windows programs.

And we don't want to move from E: to a "true system volume", such as C:.
That just introduces more disadvantages, to compensate for that setting.
We want to keep Notes on E:, where it is now.

> 2. Wait for the next release of NetWorker which will be able to
> leverage the Windows DR backup for filesystem recoveries,
> eliminating the double backup of the E:\ volume

We've decided to not backup the DISASTER_RECOVERY: object at all. We will
back up all the VSS savesets, and all of C: and E: (enumerated
explicitly). Who knows how long the next release of Networker will be -
look how long it tool for 7.6.2 to come out with the full
DISASTER_RECOVERY: support, after Windows 2008 came out (no offense). My
backups will never finish, or fit in the available AFTD space, if we just
did a standard ALL backup.

At least that way, we'll have a backup. It will be like I am continuing to
use 7.6 pre-SP2 ... :-)