Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice on migrating a large (2TB) AFTD storage node to new hardware

2011-07-14 09:22:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice on migrating a large (2TB) AFTD storage node to new hardware
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:24:06 -0400
> It's been our experience that even using robocopy to move 200+G from one

> direct attached disk shelf to another direct attached disk shelf took
like
> 7 hours. (that was on a different file server, at one of our remote
sites)
> Our experience is that using robocopy between servers is slower than
using
> Networker.

Sorry; that was 500G in 7 hours, between locally attached storage on one
server. Which also required some manual intervention, according to my
co-worker who did it. Some of the folders had such goofy permissions, that
he had to seize ownership of the folder, before he could re-start the
copy. NW won't have that problem.

And transferring across the LAN from one server to another is bound to be
slower than transferring between locally attached storage.