Networker

[Networker] Advice on migrating a large (2TB) AFTD storage node to new hardware

2011-07-11 10:19:38
Subject: [Networker] Advice on migrating a large (2TB) AFTD storage node to new hardware
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:17:02 -0400
I hope I can explain this clearly ... This is all on NW 7.5.2, all on
Windows.

I have a 2 node MS Windows 2003 cluster.  (these are my main file shares)
We are - at the moment - backing up straight to tape (nightly
differentials, weekly fulls) All works well. Total size of savesets over
the course of 1 week is close to 3TB.

Now, I need to migrate all of this to a new 2 node Win2008 cluster, and
instead of going straight to tape, keep a week's worth of backups on AFTD
devices (disk drives). And the weekly full backup takes around 20 hours.
No way can I do a full backup to tape, then a full restore to disk on the
new cluster, over the course of the migration window (a weekend).

So here's what I am thinking - I make the new cluster non dedicated
storage nodes, each with it's own 4.5 TB AFTD drive. I backup the old file
server virtual client (called NT_SAN1) to the AFTD device on the new
cluster (NEWFIL001). Then, I do a directed recover from AFTD device to the
larger disk drives of the nodes that will be hosting the new virtual
client resource (which will also be called NT_SAN1; basically, we will
recreate NT_SAN1 with same name, IP address, and shares on the new
cluster). That should be the quickest way to move all that data to the new
larger drives of the new cluster.

So: I have current NW client called NT_SAN1. I create 2 new storage node
clients, NEWFILE001 and NEWFILE002, each with their own 4.5TB AFTD
devices. I reconfigure NT_SAN1 to change it's storage node setting (on
Globals 2 of 2, in NMC) to be NEWFILE001. I run a backup job that backs up
NT_SAN1 to the AFTD device of NEWFILE001. Then I do a re-directed recover
from AFTD device to NEWFILE001 storage drive. This gets all data and NTFS
security and permissions from the old virtual client to the new physical
node.

Then we shut down the old cluster, and re-create the virtual client
resource (named NT_SAN1) on the new cluster, along with all of it's share,
permissions, etc. (hopefully there is a wizard to do all that, rather than
us doing it manually). As long as the virtual client resource NT_SAN1 DNS
name and IP address match the NW client NT_SAN1 DNS name and IP Address,
NW should be none the wiser, and just continue to backup NT_SAN1 happily.

We did something almost exactly similar a few weeks ago, moving a SQL
cluster. Since the cluster resource name and IP stayed the same, I didn't
need to make any NW changes to the NW client that corresponded to the
virtual cluster resource. As far as NW was concerned, nothing really
changed, since it still found a client with that same name and IP address
exactly where NW had been told to find it.

SO:

Thoughts on the plan as a whole?
Changes need on the NW NT_SAN1 client should be limited to adding
NEWFILE001 as a storage node entry (to the existing entry of "curphyhost"
and "nsrserver"). That will allow the backup job to save NT_SAN1 to the
AFTD device of NEWFILE001.
After the recover to NEWFILE001, all I will need to do is remove the
storage node name (i.e., go back to "curphyhost" and "nsrserver".

We're going to have to do this in 2 weeks. Reason for the rush is that we
are running out of disk space on NT_SAN1, so we need to move it to new
hardware with bigger drives.

Please feel free to ask questions; I realize it's a bit convoluted, and I
may not have explained it as well as I had hoped.

Thanks

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM