Networker

[Networker] Exchange Pub Folder backups via NME: MSEXCH:IS vs MSEXCH:PF

2011-02-11 16:27:35
Subject: [Networker] Exchange Pub Folder backups via NME: MSEXCH:IS vs MSEXCH:PF
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 16:24:34 -0500
Greetings

Recently had a request to backup a new server running Exchange 2007 that would
host Public Folders.

When our system was originally set up, the Networker client config was set up
to use the MSEXCH:IS saveset (client is 7.5.2 with the NME version 5.1)

When I came on board, I mentioned in a strongly worded email that since there
was nothing equivalent to an RSG for Public Folders, I wasn't 100% sure that
the PFs were recoverable, even though the backups were completing successfully
each night, and that testing / verifying that the data was recoverable would
not be trivial, but that we were willing to try if the Exchange admins could
set the time and resources aside to do that.  Strangely, they always seemed to
have other, more important tasks in front of them.

For the new system I wanted to try out using the MSEXCH:PF saveset.  As I
suspected, the backups took longer, but the item-level recovery is very nice.

However, the Exchange admin reported after a few days that the transaction logs
were not getting truncated.  Opened a ticket with EMC, and they eventually told
us that when using MSEXCH:PF, the logs would never be truncated by Networker.

I asked if we could use a post-backup script via savepnpc to truncate them, and
they said that should work.  So my questions to this fine audience are:

1. Is this behavior of the MSEXCH:PF  not truncating the logs normal?  (It
doesn't seem to pass the smell test to me....)
2. If it is normal, how do you recommend dealing with the growing t-logs?
3. Is anyone using the MSEXCH:IS saveset in NME to backup Pub Folders, and if
so is the recovery process straightforward or extremely tedious?  i.e. is
anyone happy with this approach?

Thanks in advance!
-- brerrabbit