Networker

Re: [Networker] False "Tape is either disabled or in service mode" message

2010-09-22 21:37:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] False "Tape is either disabled or in service mode" message
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:36:23 -0400
hi. we have a DD630 running in vtl mode running like a champ (despite
the licensing / changer silly-ness with NW/EMC).

I find your issue of having to relabel daily a bit odd - cant you create
enough vtl tapes in the lib to cover your retention policy/(s)? if you
are on vtl, you are not using AFTD, correct? (or perhaps both?)

what do you mean sessions are set to 1 per dd? do you mean 1 per drive
on paralellism on every DD unit ?? - that would be correct, so you have
to create more drives than normal to over-compensate for the lame
parallellism setting.

We just followed the best practice guides for nw and dd we found on
powerlink or on datadomain.com - they have done fairly well for us
despite some early issues/problems with licensing and stuff... sorry i
dont have specific config details, but can have them by the am, email me
off-list if you'd like more info.

cheers,
james