Networker

[Networker] False "Tape is either disabled or in service mode"

2010-09-23 09:08:12
Subject: [Networker] False "Tape is either disabled or in service mode"
From: rmumford <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:06:23 -0400
"I find your issue of having to relabel daily a bit odd - cant you create
enough vtl tapes in the lib to cover your retention policy/(s)? if you
are on vtl, you are not using AFTD, correct? (or perhaps both?)

what do you mean sessions are set to 1 per dd? do you mean 1 per drive
on paralellism on every DD unit ?? - that would be correct, so you have
to create more drives than normal to over-compensate for the lame
parallellism setting.

We just followed the best practice guides for nw and dd we found on
powerlink or on datadomain.com - they have done fairly well for us
despite some early issues/problems with licensing and stuff... sorry i
dont have specific config details, but can have them by the am, email me
off-list if you'd like more info."

Thanks, yes thats target sessions and max sessions on each tape drive set to 1.
The DD rep was pretty adamant about that. And he's the one who keeps telling us
to relabel tapes each day to keep from filling up the DD. And I can see some
sense in doing that. (we're only a bit over 50% though) We also are replicating
some data to a remote site over a small pipe and wanted to keep that to a
minimum, but as you say I'd much rather just create enough tapes and forget
about it. Which we may do since this is turning into a hassle.

We already have 24 drives per storage node to compensate for max sessions = 1,
that may not be enough on our situation. How many drives can you put up on a
storage node, is there a limit?

Thanks