Networker

Re: [Networker] client licenses for vmware virtual machines

2010-03-25 13:30:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] client licenses for vmware virtual machines
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:26:45 -0400
AFAIK  Windows mscs NW licenses are still required if you are clustering
within esx - you will also still need the module for exchange backups
(or nmm) as well - the vcals will not cover module backups , only vcb
savesets, and fs backups without VCB for clients defined as "Virtual".
(again, this is AFAIK - if someone knows otherwise, please correct me).

Cheers,
Jamie

VCP3, VCP4

SQL server
>> database. Can i license each ESX server with Virtual Edition
Connection License and i am

<http://ie.mc280.mail.yahoo.com/mc/[email protected]
>> .EDU> ]
>>      >> On Behalf Of MIchael Leone
>>      >> Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:04 PM
>>      >> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

<http://ie.mc280.mail.yahoo.com/mc/[email protected]
>> .EDU>
>>      >> Subject: Re: [Networker] client licenses for vmware virtual
machines
>>      >>
>>      >> Isn't a full VCB image a full backup of the ESX server *and*
all the
>>      VMs
>>      >> currently running on it?
>>      >>
>>      >> If so, that's a problem. I don't want to restore an entire
VCB image
>>      of
>>      >> one of my ESX hosts, with has 8 VMs, each of which has 50G
disk space
>>      >> assigned to it, just to later extract out a file or two in
just one
>>      of the
>>      >> VMs.
>>      >>
>>      >> I have a feeling that I'm mis-understanding how that works.
Or you're
>>      >> mis-understanding what I'm asking ...
>>
>>      Yes - likely a combination of both...  No, you will never backup
or
>>      restore a full ESX host - ESX is just a container server of
sorts (think
>>      vmotion, HA, DR etc) ... A vcb image is an export image (aka
"snapshot")
>>      of a vm sent from your san to a windows vcb proxy server host
via the
>>      VCB integration scripts and then backed up by the legato
networker
>>      integration module. The exported files themselves are quite
similar to
>>      what you would download in a "virtual appliance" on vmware's
VMTN , then
>>      run it through vmware converter to restore it back from export
files to
>>      a working vm -  I have not done any homework on filesystem-level
backups
>>      using VCB, so I cannot answer that one in full actually -
perhaps
>>      someone else uses the *ALLVMFS* saveset in this manner, or
perhaps (like
>>      it was in 7.4.x, "C\" or something along those lines for
file-level?

>>      >>
>>      >> What I was asking: if SERV001 is a VM; can I browse through
the
>>      backups of
>>      >> SERV001 using the GUI; choose the 2 or 3 files I want; and
recover
>>      just
>>      >> those? Exactly as I would do with a physical machine.  I
don't want
>>      >> have to restore a backup of *all* the VMs that were running
on that
>>      ESX
>>      >> hosts to somewhere else, and then dig out just those 2 or 3
files out
>>      of
>>      >> the hundreds of gigs worth of stuff I just restored.
>>
>>      If you were using the All saveset, then the answer would be yes.
If you
>>      were using one of the VCB saveset commands... well, I cannot
tell you
>>      because we only do full images here. :(
>>
>>      >>
>>      >> I have like 80 VMs now, and 90 licenses (plus storage nodes
and
>>      cluster
>>      >> clients). If I can use 10 Virtual Client Licenses to back up
all 80
>>      of
>>      >> those VMs, that will free up 70 licenses for physical
machines. Yes?

>>      Yes - AFAIK, if all of those 80 vm's are defined explicitly as
"Virtual
>>      clients" in the client config in networker, this would be the
case. As I
>>      mentioned, we use the "All" saveset just as one would on a
physical
>>      system on many of these clients, since they may be exchange C:\
volumes
>>      etc etc , which are not good for VCB
>>
>>      >>
>>      >> I can then make sure I leave those licenses for the physical
hosts.
>>      We
>>      >> don't like to run SQL as a VM, so I have a number of SQL
servers
>>      >> (including clustered servers).
>>
>>      Yes, we don't run it in a vm either, that wouldn't be too smart
IMO, so
>>      yes it works out well indeed. I would like a clustered setup as
well,
>>      but not being a big windows MSCS fan, do not want the headaches.
Drs and
>>      HA still work if vcenter breaks and our admins can figure out
what they
>>      need to in that rare occasion.
>>
>>      Hope that clears some stuff up, it's muddy out there I know! :)
>>
>>      Regards,
>>      Jamie
>>
>>      To sign off this list, send email to
listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu